Why do you want to build a home gym?
The upfront cost may appear quite expensive but if you factor in the following, it may be a worthy investment for the convenience:
- Time efficiency
- No commute: Travel to & from the gym
- Workout around family time
- Squeeze in mini workouts between your busy schedule
- Not waiting for a machine to be available
- Gym Etiquette: People planted on a piece of equipment, scrolling Instagram
- Hygiene: Other people’s sweat, dirt, and grime
- Your gym is always open
- Do what you want, when you want
- Be as loud as you like
- Plant yourself on a piece of equipment and scroll Instagram
- Do bicep curls in the squat rack (Ugh, please don’t!)
- Invite friends to workout without needing a membership
- Gym membership
- Commercial gym vs home gym comparison (Link)
- Use the equipment you prefer (Link)
- How to build a home gym (Link)
Consider the following when building your home gym:
- Space – How much room do you have for the equipment, as well as working within that space?
- Fitness goals – Overall health, fat loss, bodybuilding, powerlifting?
- Budget – With finance options, it comes down to what you consider value.
- Quality – Commercial grade or near it, will last a lot longer than most budget models.
- Safety – With thinner steel components, higher weight may cause the steel to fail, leading to injury.
- Versatility – How many options do you want?
- Practicality – A powerlifting setup won’t bode well in a third floor apartment.
- Type – Sooooo many options! See below.
There are many forms of exercise equipment. In its simplest form, you can utilize just your bodyweight (pushups, pullups, etc.). Maybe you’re looking to add a little resistance with bands (beware of your anchoring point because a fully taut band can leave quite a mark if it snaps back!). Perhaps free weights, in the form of dumbbells, barbells, and kettlebells are more to your liking (just like what you see in the commercial gyms). And if you’re after an all-in-one machine, there are some pretty incredible contraptions available to suit any workout you’re after (they may look like a medieval torture device, but… the gains!!!).
Are you looking for:
- Trainers (All-in-one machine)
- Power Racks
- Workout Benches
- Adjustable Free Weights
- Bodyweight machines
- Resistance Bands, Suspension Trainers, and Battle Ropes
- Cardio Machines
- Home Gym Decor
Are you searching for a particular piece of equipment or looking for variety?
- Single Stack or Multi-Stack
- Plate only
- Lever Gym
- Smith Machine
- Functional Trainer (Cable)
- Power Rods
- Incline Bodyweight Machine
- Smart Home Gym
- Best Home Gyms combining the best of the above
Cardio Machines (Coming Soon)
- Rowing Machines
- Upright Bikes
- Recumbent Bikes
- Spin Bikes
- Skiing Machines
- Alternative Motion Machines
- Smart & Connected Fitness
Home Gym Storage, Decor, and Accessories (Coming Soon)